What is a WordPress Theme and How to Choose the Right One
How to Start in an Online Business
Phase 1 – Steps 6, 7, & 8
You can view all of my Posts by clicking on the following Link: HelpMeGetMine.com
You are doing very well. By now, you have chosen your Domain, your Host, and have possibly purchased your own personal Domain Name. Now, I will explain: What is a WordPress Theme and How to Choose the Right One.
According to Wikipedia: “WordPress is a free and open-source content management system.” A Theme is a collection of templates and stylesheets used to define the appearance and display of a WordPress powered website.
Choose a Theme: Phase 1 – Step 6
There are thousands of available Themes to choose from. Many that are FREE, and some that will cost you. Each Theme is designed to work on a specific publishing platform.
There are many publishing platforms to choose from, but one of the best is WordPress.org
This is the platform that Wealthy Affiliate supports and here are some of the reasons why:
- WordPress is one of the most popular and powerful website and blog building tools available.
- Wealthy Affiliate FREE version allows you 12 Theme choices.
- Wealthy Affiliate Premium gives you over 2500 WordPress Themes to choose from, many of which are FREE.
- WordPress has over 50,000 plugins for you to choose from, each with it’s own unique set of assisting tools to allow you to easily customize and manage your theme. Most are FREE.
WordPress offers the ability to search for Themes that fit the specific parameters that you are looking for, like the number of columns, mobile friendly, etc. Then, you are able to view the Theme’s details, or even see how your site will look on it in the ‘Live Preview’ mode before choosing to actually use and apply it to your site. It is a great time saver when attempting to choose a proper Theme for your site. If you choose one and it doesn’t really work as well as you want it to, you can always change to another at any time.
Choose or Change a Theme
*** The following Training coincides with the Wealthy Affiliate Certification Training (green tab on the left after you log in): Level 1 – Lesson 4. Click HERE to review it.
If you are Choosing or Changing a Theme on the Wealthy Affiliate platform, follow these steps to complete the process:
- Login to WealthyAffiliate.
- Click on: SiteRubix tab > Site Manager > Log in > Login Now.
- In your Dashboard, click on: Appearance > Themes. Select: ‘Add New‘ at the top of the page or: ‘Add New Theme‘ at the bottom of the page. Then, select: ‘Feature Filter‘.
- Under the ‘Layout‘ section tick the boxes for the style that you want. Do the same in the ‘Features’ section. Consider the ‘must haves’ for your website., such as # of columns, widget areas, etc.
- Under the ‘Subject’ section, choose the one that most applies to the site that you want to create.
- Once you have done all that, click on the ‘Apply Filters’ button. You will be shown a selection of Themes meeting your criteria.
- Hovering over any Theme will reveal a ‘Details & Preview’ button. Click on that to get some information as well as a general look of how your theme can be customized.
- Once you have decided on one to try, click on the ‘Install’ button. This will merely install the Theme. It is not yet activated.
Verify & Activate the Chosen Theme
If you are a member of Wealthy Affiliate you can view the Links included in this section.
1. Once installed, you can click on the ‘Live Preview’ button at the bottom of the Theme to see how your current content will populate to that Theme before you activate it. Check each page and post to make sure that you will not need to do too much tweaking, and that all of your main elements are present. To see a great tutorial on what to expect, see CathyS’s: https://my.wealthyaffiliate.com/cathys/blog/wordpress-what-to-expect-when-changing-themes
2. You can change your Theme at any time, and your content will be exported to the new Theme without losing anything. You will, however, usually need to tweak certain things on your pages and posts. Whenever you make any changes, click on ‘Update’ or ‘Save’ on each one.
3. It is recommended to backup your Site before changing Themes, just in case of any issues. If you need to backup your site, see Kyle’s instructions: How to Backup Your WordPress Site However, it should be noted, that any sites Hosted at Wealthy Affiliate are backed up daily.
4. When you are comfortable with your Theme choice, click on the ‘Activate’ button and tweak your pages and posts as needed.
5. If you want to Delete a Theme that you have added, but do not like, you simply click on: ‘Appearance’ > Themes. Then, Hover over the Theme you wish to Delete, click on that Theme‘s ‘Theme Details’ button, then click ‘Delete’ in the lower right corner. The Delete option will never be available for your Activated Theme until you have activated another.
Install, Activate, & Update Your Plugins: Phase 1 – Step 7
*** The following Training coincides with the Wealthy Affiliate Certification Training (green tab on the left after you log in): Level 1 – Lesson 5. Click HERE to review it.
When you install a website at Wealthy Affiliate they pre-install the most useful Plugins with your website automatically. The pre-installed Plugins are:
- All in One SEO
- EWWW Image Optimizer
Your first step is going to be to Activate these Plugins as follows:
- In your Dashboard, click on: ‘Plugins’ > ‘Installed Plugins’.
- Click on: ‘Activate’ for each of these. (Any time that these Plugins show available updates, always update them.)
- You may wish to install other Plugins for your site, either now or at a later time. Just remember, that too many or out-of-date Plugins may slow down your website’s load time if they are resource hogs.
- To install additional Plugins, go into your Dashboard, click on: ‘Plugins’ > ‘Add New’.
- When adding a Plugin, click on: ‘Install Now’ button, and then click on: ‘Activate’ once it has installed.
Some Themes suggest recommended Plugins to be installed with the Theme. Their recommendations are there as a preference (most compatible) for a specific Plugins that you might choose to use, compared to different similar Plugins. It is not mandatory that they be installed. Only install them if you feel that they will be useful to your site.
Remember, too many Plugins that are resource hogs will slow your site’s load up speed.
Other Suggested Plugins that may come in handy (use or not depending on your needs):
- Delete Multiple Themes -activate to Delete multiple Themes at once that you no longer want.
- Easy Digital Downloads – for when you offer digital downloads for your new subscribers.
- Exclude Pages – Provides a checkbox on the editing page which you can check to exclude pages from the primary navigation.
- Pretty Link Lite – hides Affiliate Links and gives a shorter, prettier Link to use on Social Media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- TinyMCE Advanced – enables advanced features and Plugins in TinyMCE, the visual editor in WordPress. You can change your font type, font size and other cool stuff.
- Updraft Plus – to backup your website to Dropbox.
Again, remember that too many or out-of-date Plugins can slow down your website’s load time. You may not need all of these.
If you need a Plugin for a specific feature, you can type the need into the ‘Search’ window and see what comes up. You can click on any of the Plugins that appear to see how many downloads they have in order to verify their popularity.
Go through the settings for each Plugin that you Activate to personalize them.
You can also simply Deactivate a Plugin if you use it intermittently and Reactivate it in order to use it again, instead of Deleting and Reinstalling it every time you use it.
Delete the Defaults: Phase 1 – Step 8
Delete the Default Page, Post and Comment that usually comes with every new installation.
The first thing you want to do is Delete the Default Post that is added with each website Theme:
- In your Dashboard, click on the ‘Posts’ button, within the Side Menu. Hover over the post name in the list, which will reveal the management buttons. Click on: ‘Delete’.
- Repeat this process for the ‘Pages’ section.
- Repeat this process for the ‘Comments’ section.
Now your new Website should now be clean and ready to customize as you see fit.
Please leave a Comment or ask a Question in the Comments section below.
Continue to the next Post in the series: Setup Domain Email, Create New User & Gravatar, & Setup SEO – Phase 1 – Steps 9 thru 12.